This holiday season, I realized that it has been well over 2.5 years since my last cup of hot chocolate. What is this madness? I used to enjoy a nice cup of cocoa during the frigid Iowa winters. However, since moving to a warmer climate and going vegan – hot chocolate sort of phased itself out in an unnoticed way.
Once the idea struck, it stuck. I became determined to create the most delicious cup of hot cocoa, and I think I may have succeeded.
This cocoa is smooth and creamy. It is rich. But most importantly it is 100% free of dairy. All of the wintery goodness I remembered, but none of the cruel or disease-causing dairy.
- 2 cups non-dairy milk (I used original flavor flax milk)
- 1 tablespoon and 1/2 teaspoon of cacao
- 1 serving of dark chocolate
- 2 teaspoons agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon of either peppermint or vanilla extract
- Coconut whipped cream
1. Decide if you would like peppermint hot cocoa or original. Use the vanilla extract if original is your choice.
2. Break the dark chocolate bar into pieces for easier melting.
3. In a stainless steel sauce pan, combine all ingredients. Use a whisk to combine until everything is melted and smooth.
4. Pour into mug.
5. Top with marshmallows or whipped cream and enjoy! I also grated some chocolate slivers on top.
Thank you for visiting This Vegan Life. Let’s connect! Find links to my social media accounts at the top of this page. If you would like to collaborate on future posts, please click the “Work With Me” tab. Sending good vibes your way.