Spring is here and today I wanted to bring you a quick and simple guide to body brushing. Who wants to shed that winter skin?! Spring is THE perfect time to start a self-care practice like body brushing, and this blog post will explain why.
Using a stiff-bristled, natural fiber brush to gently stimulate the lymphatic system is an ancient Ayurvedic practice that I have been doing for over five years. Here is the link to the dry brush I use. Click image below.
Let’s first discuss the lymphatic system in a little more detail. This system operates along side the circulatory system – it is the network of vessels through which lymph drains from the tissues into the blood. But unlike the circulatory system, which has the heart as its pump – the lymphatic system lacks an automated pump.
What does this mean?
We have to find ways to activate this system manually.
How can we care for the function of this very important system? Here are a few strategies we can use to improve lymphatic function:
- Any exercise that involves jumping
- Dry Brushing
- Take time to reduce stress
- Deep Breathing
- Herbs and Ancient Remedies
- Steam Room
- Proper Hydration
Today I am focusing on body brushing in particular because it has the added benefit of getting your skin warm-weather ready.
Other benefits of body brushing include:
- Reduced cellulite! Those lumps and bumps are the accumulation of strangled fascia and toxins. Gently stimulating blood flow across these areas will increase the drainage of unwanted build up.
- Softer, exfoliated skin. Dry and flaky skin doesn’t stand a chance against your dry brush. This is something you can see immediately – the skin is instantly more smooth.
- Stimulating the nervous system. That’s right, not just the lymphatic system gets spoiled! You will be able to feel the little bristles of the brush stimulating the nerve endings on the skin. You definitely feel it working.
How and when to body brush:
- I do it right before a shower, when skin is dry.
- I do it every day. Yes, the little brush even comes on vacation with me.
- See graphic below:
A few more tips:
- Be gentle. This should be stimulating, but not uncomfortable.
- The bristles will soften over time with continued use. This is a good thing.
- Access the mind/body connection during this practice! Use this as a time to praise yourself for taking a step towards a positive body image. Don’t get down on yourself.
- Stay consistent.
- The best time to brush is right before a shower, follow up with a rich body cream for luxuriously soft skin. I use this one. Click image below.Thank you for visiting This Vegan Life. Let’s connect! Find links to my social media accounts at the top of this page. If you would like to collaborate on future posts, please click the “Work With Me” tab. Sending good vibes your way.