I have a confession. When we first went vegan, I thought that I would not be able to eat cookies ever again. I assumed that all baked goods would become nothing but distant memories. Needless to point out – I was uneducated.
Today I wanted to share a recipe for homemade vegan chocolate chip cookies. These are a chewy cookie. I do appreciate a cake-like texture from time to time, but this recipe offers a more true-to-cookie feel.
- 1 Tbsp ground flax + 3 Tbsp water (To make a ‘flax egg’)
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance butter (I recommend the stick butter)
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
(Pre-heat the oven to 325 F. Place a piece of parchment over a baking sheet.)
1. Combine the ground flax seed and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
3. Place the room-temperature butter in another bowl. Add the sugars and whisk continuously for about 2 minutes. It should become light and fluffy and be light beige in color.
4. Add the flax mixture and the vanilla to the butter mix. Whisk until well incorporated.
5. Add the flour mix to the butter mixture and stir together with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon just until combined – make sure to not overmix.
6. Add the chocolate chips and gently fold into the dough.
7. Drop by the tablespoon onto the baking sheet. Bake for 10-13 minutes, rotating once. They should look underdone on top.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes.
Thank you for visiting This Vegan Life. Let’s connect! Find links to my social media accounts at the top of this page. If you would like to collaborate on future posts, please click the “Work With Me” tab. Sending good vibes your way.