To answer your question, yes, these DO taste as delicious as they look.
Vegan brownies topped with a three-ingredient homemade (dairy-free!) caramel, what’s not to love? This recipe is decadent. It is moist. It is rich. Let’s get into it, shall we?
Ingredients For Brownies:
- 2 cups flour (may use a gluten free option)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (secret ingredient!)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa or cacao powder (I used cacao)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons sea salt
(Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F)
1. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and regular salt.
2. Pour in water, vegetable oil and vanilla; mix until well blended.
3. Spread evenly in a 9×13 inch baking pan. Bake for 28-35 minutes. You will know it is done when the surface of the brownies no longer appears shiny.
Brownies will look like this when finished baking:
Ingredients For Date Caramel:
- 8 whole dates
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- About 1.5 cups water
1. Pit the dates and place in a small bowl.
2. Cover the dates in boiling water. Let soak for 10-15 minutes.
3. Strain the water from the dates, leaving a small amount of liquid amongst the dates. Squeeze about 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice into the bowl.
4. Blend on high until the mixture has formed a thick paste. Spoon this paste onto the brownies and sprinkle a small amount of sea salt on top.
Thank you for visiting This Vegan Life. Let’s connect! Find links to my social media accounts at the top of this page. If you would like to collaborate on future posts, please click the “Work With Me” tab. Sending good vibes your way.